Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Improvisational Lowfat Rice Pudding

It's *almost* getting to be that autumn crisp-in-the-air time of year. Almost, not quite. But still, I felt like making rice pudding. We had Thai for dinner Sunday night, and had a bunch of rice left over. So Monday morning I made this up, from what we had on hand. I surfed around a few recipes online, and got the basic gist of what makes Rice Pudding.

I think it came out pretty good. It was definitely more creamy that day, right out of the pot. The reheated version today is more like thick sticky oatmeal, but still tasty. Here's my attempt at the "recipe".

About 1 1/2 - 2 cups cooked white rice
Enough milk to cover the rice, plus a little more *
2 eggs
1/4 cup brown sugar, maybe a little more to taste
LOTS of cinnamon
A large pinch of nutmeg
A small pinch of allspice
2 individual-sized boxes of raisins (I didn't have any bulk ones)

* we only had about 1/2 cup of 1% in the fridge, so I made up another 1 1/2 cup or so with nonfat dried milk

Put the rice in a saucepan with the milk, and started it on a low flame. Meanwhile mix the eggs and the sugar in a small bowl. Add a little of the hot (not yet boiling) rice-milk mixture to the eggs and sugar, blend those to heat them up, and then put the egg-sugar mix into the saucepan.

Let it cook on a medium flame for about 10-15 minutes, stirring, and don't let it boil. While it's cooking, add the spices. You can add more to taste, after it's cooked. I like the cinnamon, and in hindsight I would have added more ;)

Then remove from heat and stir in the raisins. Voila! We got about 4 pretty large servings out of it.

Here's my estimate of nutritional facts, per serving of 1/4th -
Calories: 280, Fat: 4g, Carbs: 52g, Protein: 10g

Next time I might make it with 2% milk to make it a bit creamer, but definitely not heavy cream. I added the extra egg to make it thicker.

No pictures, sorry. I ate it already =)

No comments: