Wednesday, November 28, 2012

More Baby Quilts

I've been enjoying making baby quilts lately. They're the perfect size for a fun project, and not too overwhelming if I keep the pattern simple. You'll recognize some of the fabric that I used on my quilt in the last post. I had taken the extra green and brown flannel squares and made the checkerboard design. I made this for a friend who had her baby earlier this month.

The colors show up a little better in this photo. Again with my rushing out the door to the baby shower and trying to get some quick decent photos =)

Lately I've been experimenting with minimalistic wrapping. Since the quilt backing practically makes it's own wrapper, I just put a little bow on it! Easy, fast, and less waste.

At the baby shower, my friends had this brilliant idea of letting guests pick out appliques for little onesies to give to the new mom. I brought my sewing machine and helped by sewing around the iron-on fabrics. There's a great little tutorial at Hello Bee if you want to know more about that.

Going even further back, here is a quilt I made for another friend earlier this fall. I took some of the leftover blues from the baby quilt I made for my nephew, and paired it with a dark denim.

Speaking of the quilt for my nephew, I finally finished it and gave it to the proud new parents. Since I hadn't bound it until after he was born, I was able to embroider his initials into the corner. I got to see him enjoying it at Thanksgiving, which was very nice :)

And lastly, since I've been sitting on these photos for so long, here is some more adorableness from one of our latest foster kittens, Tipsy. I'm happy to report that Tipsy and his sister Topsy are now in wonderful homes and no doubt thoroughly enjoying life.

We're taking a break from fostering kittens to make room for the new baby! I hope one day in the not-too-distant future we'll be able to start up again, as it has been a wonderful experience.

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Late Night Kool-Aid Dying

I have some wool yarn that I've been wanting to dye, so I dug out my kool-aid collection this evening.

To help me decide what colors I wanted, I looked at this handy reference chart over at Knitty. This was a great refresher on dying as well.

First I wound the wool into loose hanks around two chair backs (the cats were very interested in this step,) and then I washed it.

I had split it up into two sections, and I think I have enough for two knit scarves. I decided on doing them each with two colors in a striped pattern.

Here's the first batch just after I put it in. You can see the color is still very light.

After they'd heated up, I transferred the first one to bowls, as I only have a couple small pots.

Now you can see the purple getting darker, and the orange is very intense. I was going for fiery, after all.

I'll have to wait until tomorrow for the results. Now that the heat's off, I can go to bed and let it chill overnight.

I also got some sewing done today. I've been working on a blanket for our little one. The center squares are flannel, and the green border and dark brown backing are cotton.

Herbert loves it when I do laundry. He thinks the fresh blankets are just for him :)

- Mobile post -