Saturday, January 3, 2009

Bread, Version 2

I've been trying to make bread at home, and this is my second recent attempt. I tried for a lighter loaf, so I made it all white, with an added 1/2 cup of wheat germ. (I don't do "white bread")

I think the oven was a bit hot for it, because the crust is nice and crunchy, almost too dark, and the inside could've used a few more minutes. But my husband says the flavor is good, and I have to agree with him =) Next time I'll try the same recipe but make rolls. That would be perfect.

White with Wheat Germ Bread

Then I got to thinking of the nutritional facts. First I added up everything for the ingredients in the bread. I had sliced off a couple pieces for us, and so I marked out the same size pieces (see on the photo), and came up with a total of 12, so I divided the totals by 12. I think if the inside had cooked more, I could have gotten them a little thinner. Next time.

So let's compare that with store-bought stuff. Here I have Safeway Select 15 Grain. The bread is just about as tall as mine, but my pieces are about 50% thicker. I took that into account and added 50% to the amounts given on the Safeway bread.

Slice of Homemade White with Wheat Germ Bread
160 calories
1.4 g fat
34 g carbs
5 g protein
395 mg sodium

Equivalent slice of Safeway Select 15 Grain Bread
165 calories
3 g fat
28 g carbs
6 g protein
285 mg sodium

Ok, so it's pretty close. Mine has half the fat, but more sodium and more carbs. Sure the store bought stuff has a bunch of healthy-sounding things in it, but I know that my ingredients are all fresh. Plus, 7 ingredients: Flour, milk, yeast, canola oil, salt, sugar, and wheat germ, compared with 32 ingredients. 32!

I'll work on the texture and hopefully start adding more seeds and grains as well.

No comments: