Sunday, February 5, 2012

New Life for Old Clothes

About a year ago at a friend's party, a few of us got on the subject of corsetry (not too surprising.) Someone was wearing a cool corduroy jacket, and well, one thing led to another and I said it would be AWESOME to make a corduroy corset. And the next day it still sounded like a good idea, so I started playing around with some fabrics I had. Then I remembered this old oversized jacket I had. I bought it online and never really cared for the fit.

I started building the corset right away, and then it sat on my shelf for nearly a year. I couldn't decide on the trim fabric or color, and then I got busy with other projects and simply forgot about it. Then a couple of days ago I picked it up and decided to make an invisible edge rather than a coordinating trim. Problem solved!

So here is my newest corset- a beautiful, soft, wide-wale corduroy in chocolate brown. I love it! =)

I wore it today for the first time, and it was very comfortable for about 6 hours. It's not a great picture of me :) but it went well with casual jeans and a t-shirt.

The antique brass grommets work very well. I'm not a huge steampunk fan, but it could definitely go that direction if I wanted to.