Saturday, November 15, 2008

Yarn and Motorcycles

I've re-worked part of a project twice now, and I'm realizing that the llama-wool does not like to be pulled out. Ouch. I think it also doesn't help that it's single-ply, but I think it'll look ok, as it was only a couple of rows. It reminds me that I was glad I learned on acrylic. The other day I was hanging out with a friend who was learning to knit with some wool, and she mentioned that a friend of hers saw her starting with acrylic, told her no-no-no, and gave her the wool instead.

When I was learning to crochet, I liked to try different things, rip it out, and try again. Acrylic can take that kind of abuse.

It's like getting your first motorcycle. Better to start with a 12-year-old EX500 that you can learn on, and open up to see how it works, pull all the farings off to paint them with chalkboard paint if you happen to feel like it :) Then when you're done with that, go get the brand new Yamaha Fz6.

Yarn, motorcycles- maybe that's a stretch... but it make sense to me.

Re-working this wool is reminding me also that I'm not a fan of felting, which seems to be approaching the craze stage of popularity. I like felt, and cool things you can do with it. I think the main reason I don't like felting is because you see a lot of it done with knitting, and knitting is still tedius to me. Why spend all that time knitting if you won't see your work? I know I'm probably stepping on toes of die-hard felters, but that's ok.

However, I do like these coasters, and I think that's a great use of felting. Still, I look at those and think "crochet" not knitting, but that's just me.

I'll try to post the changes I'm making to this pattern, as I'm really happy with how it's turning out. No pictures yet, as it's a gift, but it should be done and delivered in about a week.

No comments: