Saturday, April 6, 2013

Tortilla Adventures

Sometimes I'm a weird kind of lazy. I didn't feel like going to the store tonight, so I made tortillas. Granted, it's something I've been wanting to try anyway. I mostly followed this recipe and cut it in half.


The filling is a slow cooker salsa chicken, which is a combination of a couple recipes. I put frozen chicken breasts in the crock pot on high for four hours with some salsa, chicken broth, tomato paste, black beans, corn, and spices- garlic, cumin, chili powder, cayenne pepper and salt & pepper. Towards the end I added some instant brown rice and shredded the chicken. Yum!
I definitely will keep this in rotation. The tortilla was ok, but I think I might try another recipe next time that has baking powder in it. I'd also use less whole wheat flour next time (I did 1/2 and 1/2)

2 comments:

Wyng'd Lyon Creations said...

Be careful with baking powder, too much kneading and you end up with cardboard. I usually use lard instead of shortening with mine and don't use boiling water, just water right from the tap.

Also if you overknead them they become tough.

CraftyRedhead said...

Thanks for the tips :) I'm very new at this.