Wednesday, April 15, 2009

The Big Christmas Post of 2008

I thought I'd never get around to posting these, but here we are in the middle of April, and I'm finally showing off my Christmas presents!

First of all, I'm very excited about this batwing shawl pattern. I made one for my mother-in-law in a turquoise wool (one of her favorite colors,) and one for my mom in a pretty purple. Most of these pictures were taken late at night on the 19th or 20th of December, hence the tired look on my face =)



I'll definitely be making this pattern again, and maybe one for myself even. I had a little trouble understanding the pattern at first, but once I got the hang of it, the shawl worked up quickly. Ooh, I had my black hair still here (look closely you can see red roots.)



Posing by the tree, with our little husky ornament. Yes, this is what our tree looked like. It was decorated more later... Maybe on Christmas day...

Here I am on my own blog without makeup. The horror!

;)



I chose a heathered purple for my mom's shawl, also in wool, and in the same pattern. I wish I had a better shot of it, but it's the same shape.

I love this pattern.



My oldest brother is a connoisseur of all things Maltese, so I made him a traveling / relaxing mask. The design is the flag of Malta. Inside it are little beads, along with peppermint and homegrown lavender.



For my dad's girlfriend, I made another shawl, in a soft sage green. I've never worked with bamboo before, but I was very pleased. It's extremely soft, and has a light shimmer to it. She's modeling it here in their dining room which looked very festive.



For my father-in-law I was looking for a hat pattern that was ribbed, almost as if it were knit. However, I'm still not a fan of knitting, so everything here with yarn is crocheted.



Our Christmas tree modeling the hat. The yarn is a grey wool, held with a lace-weight blue yarn. I think the blue yarn is mohair, but I can't confirm that, because right now I have an extremely comfy cat on my lap, so I can't reach my stash to check the label.



And moi trying it on. I wanted a cuffed-look, but it wasn't turning out quite right, so I ended up stitching it down.



For my middle brother I made a set of coasters. The yarn is wool and soy, and it's the first time I've worked with striping yarn. I like it! It's especially fun for small project sets, where you get a random yet coordinated color scheme.



One of the first coasters had a knot in the middle, so I made it into a catnip-stuffed mushroom. The cats went crazy for it =)

Also here you can see a problem I had with binding off the original few. I later found a way to do it almost seamlessly.



This is another color scheme I made for a friend of mine. I also have a set of these up in my Etsy shop.



For my youngest brother I made a little crocheted Bender. Unfortunately he has no arms. I didn't finish them in time, and sadly I still haven't finished them. One day, Bender, you can have arms to wave around and hands to hold beer with.

There were two other unfinished projects. I started some fingerless mitts for my dad, but it was a good thing I didn't finish them in time because I was making them too small. I corrected that, but I still had to do a couple more fittings to get it right. I'll post pictures of those later.

And finally, I was making something for my husband that got set aside with the house purchase and all that chaos. Another "one day" :)

So I'm thinking I'd better get started on Christmas 2009 pretty soon...

No comments: